CCSD School Choice: Do you know your options?
CCSD School Choice
Charleston County School District is comprised of 80+ schools which teach over 45,000 children from K3-12th grade. All neighborhoods in Charleston county have specific school attendance zones, in fact school zones can easily make or break a real estate deal, but did you know CCSD offers your family an opportunity to send your kids to a variety of magnet, partial magnet, charter, and montessori schools FOR FREE?
All Charleston county student residents are eligible for CCSD school choice which provides parents the opportunity to apply to schools which may better align with their child’s specific learning style.
For example, let’s say you’ve found the perfect home to purchase in Rivertowne Country Club, but you’re questioning the decision because you want your child to attend Sullivan’s Island Elementary since that’s where you went as a child. With CCSD School Choice, you have that option!
CCSD School Choice Basics
To simplify the process, the CCSD has 5 basic steps before students can attend their school choice. Keep in mind each school has their own rules and regulations regarding lotteries and admissions so be sure to do your research before applying!
- Application (January 19 - February 19, 2017): After thorough research, parents choose the schools they wish their children to attend. Applications must then be submitted during the designated application times and up to 5 schools can be applied to at one time. All applications received within the allotted time frame will receive equal consideration no matter when they were submitted. Most lotteries do not work on a first come, first serve basis.
- Lotteries, Auditions, Testing (February 20 - March 24, 2017): After going through a review process by school administration to determine eligibility, names go into lotteries for each school and are randomly selected for placement or placements for auditions and testing.
- Acceptance/Wait List Notification (March 24 - March 28, 2017): Parents are notified of their child’s school acceptance or waitlist position.
- Parent’s Acceptance Notification (March 24 - April 9, 2017): Parents must confirm their children’s attendance.
- Residency confirmations received (By August 1, 2017): Most schools require 3 proofs of residency including a notarized affidavit, current lease or tax record, and a copy of a current utility bill before children can attend. All paperwork must include the name, date, and address and must match the name, date, and address on the affidavit in order to be accepted.
What Schools are part of CCSD school choice?
CCSD School Choice Things to Consider
When deciding whether or not to join the CCSD school choice process there are a few very important facts to remember:
- CCSD school choice receives thousands of applications each year. Charleston’s growth is not slowing down anytime soon so these numbers will continue to climb and admittance will become harder and harder as the years pass.
- Most of these schools DO NOT provide student transportation if you’re located outside of the set school zones.
- Most wait lists DO NOT roll over into the next year. If your child was wait listed, but never attended your school choice, you may have to repeat the process each year until your child is accepted for admission.
- Although initial enrollment into these programs is free, costs of supplies, PTA fees, etc. may apply.
- CCSD school choice is only for Charleston County residents! DD2 & Berkeley county do not offer school choice options at this time.